SR 00-20 Dated 09/00
Allow, for the medical assistance In and Out spenddown calculation, those expenses incurred by household members for care provided by a licensed practitioner or qualified health professional (e.g., doctor, Christian Science spiritual practitioner, chiropractor, acupuncturist, clinical pastoral counselor, clinical psychologist, sex therapist, clinical social worker).
Refer to Part 617 , In and Out Medical Assistance, for further information on the treatment of medical deductions.
Medical deductions include, but are not limited to:
• nursing facility care paid by an assistance group member for a food stamp target population member who was a household member immediately prior to entering the hospital or nursing facility recognized by the state;
• over-the-counter drugs prescribed by a licensed practitioner or other qualified health professional;
• securing a seeing-eye/hearing animal and expenses related to its upkeep;
• reasonable transportation costs (see Medical Assistance Manual, Chapter 900);
• cost of health or hospitalization insurances (including deductibles and cost-sharing of expenses); and
• the following items:
- dentures, hearing aids, prosthetics,
- eyeglasses/contact lenses,
- lodging to obtain medical care,
- Medical and dental care,
- outpatient care,
- nursing care,
- prescription drugs,
- medical supplies,
- rehabilitation services,
- sick-room equipment.
Exception: Exclude policies that pay lump sum benefits for death or dismemberment or pay expenses while one is disabled.