SR 14-16 Dated 04/14

Previous Policy


Payment for child care services is made as a reimbursement directly to the provider*. Providers are not employees of the Department and the Department incurs no financial liability for any amounts beyond the amount of the Departments payment.

*To determine the weekly amount paid to providers, the Department compares the provider’s charge for private pay families to the NH Weekly Standard Rate and subtracts the family cost share from the lesser of these 2 amounts.

Families are responsible for paying the provider for costs which exceed the amount of the Departments payment, if the provider chooses to charge the family this extra amount. This extra amount that the provider may or may not choose to charge families is called the provider co-pay.

Before the Department issues a payment for provider services, all of the following criteria must be met:

• the family has applied and been determined eligible for NH Child Care Scholarship;

• the provider has been enrolled as a child care provider with DHHS (See Section 929.01, Required Provider Enrollment Documentation);

• the family and provider have completed and submitted DCYF Form 2530, Provider Verification Form;

• the child care service has already been provided;

• the provider has an accurate record of the child’s attendance with the parent’s full signature verifying the weekly attendance;


• the family and provider have on a weekly basis, completed and signed *DCYF Form 2500, Child Care Payment Request Invoice, for each child for each week of service or billed via the Child Care Scholarship Web Billing application; these times may differ from, but must not exceed, the actual times on the attendance sheet signed by the parent;

• the family or provider has* submitted *DCYF Form 2500 to the following address:

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services

Data Management Unit

P.O. Box 2000

Concord, NH 03302-2000.

• the invoice must not include any additional fees or costs for non-child care services; and

• the provider must correct and resubmit any incorrect, incomplete, or illegible invoices that are returned by the DMU no later than 30 calendar days from the date of the rejected invoice.

If the invoice is returned to the provider a second time, the provider must call the Child Development Bureau provider relations line to correct the invoice and resubmit it within 30 calendar days from the date of the second returned invoice.

Payment will not be made for any invoice submitted 90 calendar days following the last date of service on the invoice.


If there is no payment to a provider for dates of service rendered in the last 90 days, there will be an automatic termination of the provider link for NH Child Care Scholarship for that child. If the family has no other children linked to a provider who is billing and receiving payments for services rendered, the family eligibility for NH Child Care Scholarship will end. The NH Child Care Scholarship will terminate at the end of the 10-day ANP. When a parent receives a closing notice for this reason, the parent may submit a new DCYF Form 2530,Child Care Provider Verification, for the same provider or a new provider, but must provide that form within the 10-day ANP. The link with the new or same provider can only be activated starting the day that the new DCYF Form 2530 is received and only services provided from that day forward are eligible for payment. The Department will not pay for any services in any of the 90 calendar days that caused the termination notice. If the parent provides DCYF Form 2530 AFTER the 10-day ANP has expired, child care assistance will have closed and the family must reapply*. Upon reapplication, if there is an active wait list, and the family is not receiving FANF cash assistance but is otherwise eligible for NH Child Care Scholarship, the child will be placed on the wait list with the position on the wait list determined by the date of the new application.

Families who are income-eligible for NH Child Care Scholarship at Step 6 or 7 can only receive a NH Child Care Scholarship if their child(ren) receives services from a Licensed Child Care Center or Licensed Family Child Care provider. If the family’s child(ren) receive child care services from a License-Exempt Family or License-Exempt Center provider, NH Child Care Scholarship will either terminate or deny, and the provider will not be paid for their services. The family will be responsible for any costs incurred.

A child under the age of 72 months cannot receive NH Child Care Scholarship if the child receive child care services in a License-Exempt Center. Any costs incurred by a License-Exempt Center provider for services provided to a child under 72 months will not be paid by the Department. The family will be responsible for any costs incurred.

A child must only be linked to one provider at a time. Families are responsible for the full payment to any other provider the family may use for child care services.

Allow NH Child Care Scholarship for a child of kindergarten age when the parent is actively participating in an approved activity and chooses not to utilize the available public kindergarten.

When the maximum units of job search have been reached, the case remains open and the child remains eligible, but no payment will be made until the parent begins participating in another approved activity or accrues additional job search days.

An enrolled license-exempt family child care provider who is linked to a child must be the person providing the care for all times that the Department is billed. If an enrolled license-exempt family child care provider requires a substitute caregiver for any period of time, the provider may not bill DHHS for any time he/she was not the actual person providing the child care.

If a provider fails to comply with DHHS billing requirements and consequently is not paid within 90 days of services being rendered, the provider is prohibited from billing the parent for the amount of the Child Care Scholarship that they did not receive from DHHS.

References: He-C 6910.19, RSA 167:83,II(o), 45 CFR 98.3